How to Make Money as a Social Media Influencer
It is no secret that social media influencers have grown into an enormous money-making business over the last few years. Even brands have taken notice of how powerful sponsored influencer content can be, especially when it comes to building brand recognition and generating sales from new customers. Many people are familiar with the concept of social media influencers being sponsored by brands. But what if you aren’t a sponsored influencer? How can you generate income by consistently creating content for your followers? Here are some ways you can make a steady living by being a full-time social media influencer:
1. Create digital assets: From publishing eBooks to designing specialized meal plans, creating brand assets relevant to your industry is a wonderful way to generate income. In fact, many of the influencers I work with offer some kind of digital product as a way to generate passive income. One of the most common paid offerings my clients create are online courses. Not only are these courses a great way to generate income, they also help to engage your followers with your content while positioning yourself as an expert in your field. Use your social media platform as a way to promote paid products. Offer some type of incentive or discount to your followers as a way to get them to make a purchase. You could even host a giveaway to help further your content reach and engagement!
2. Podcasts: Podcasts are having a moment! According to Edison Research, one-third of Americans ages 25 to 54 listen to podcasts on a monthly basis. As a way to generate some additional income, start producing exclusive podcasts to members of your website, your Patreon supporters or even your newsletter subscribers. Keep these podcasts exclusive to the followers that support you financially. Don’t share them willy-nilly across your social media platforms! Instead, use your social media accounts to help generate more paid subscriptions to your podcast service. Best of all? It isn’t expensive to produce your own podcast! The majority of the equipment that you will need to record your episodes are available on Amazon at an affordable price.
3. Host an Online Event: As a way to generate income, many social media influencers have turned to hosting online seminars, summits, and webinars. Similar to podcasts, these types of paid offerings are a great way to educate followers about topics relevant to your brand and industry. For example, if you are a nutrition-focused influencer, you could host a three-part webinar focused on how to start a ketogenic diet. If you are an art influencer, you could host an online watercolor workshop. Your followers will pay for high-quality, educational content that enriches their experience in following you on social media.
4. Sponsored posts and blogs: This is probably the most common approach that I see most social media influencers take as a way to generate income. If you have spent any time on social media within the past few years, you have more than likely viewed some type of sponsored influencer content. From unboxing videos to product reviews, brands are paying influencers to showcase their products all across social media. Not only does this type of marketing benefit the paying brands, it helps to financially support the influencer for their content creation efforts.
5. Sell your content: If you are creating and sharing high quality content across your social media platforms, chances are that you have developed some serious photography skills! Many different types of businesses and marketing agencies are looking for high-quality visual content to help further their online presence. You can upload and sell your photos on the numerous stock photo websites. You can even approach brands directly and ask if they are in the market for exclusive visual content!
Need some guidance on ways to generate income through the use of social media? Are you looking to become a social media influencer and you just don’t know where to start? I cover all of these topics and more in my Women of Influence Master Class. Learn more here.